But I’m sooooo stuck.
But I just don’t know.
But I can’t.
I’m over it.
I’m over getting I don’t know. as an answer.
Here’s my new response for every I don’t know - so what are you going to do to know?
What are you going to try so that you can figure it out?
Where will you look for answers?
It might be a place (I like google for starters!), it might be within (what values of mine aren’t being honored right now), it might be a hunch (what whispers am I blatantly ignoring these days?) but I promise you this: doing nothing will keep you in the exact same place.
You aren’t going to move beyond your stuck until you move. (tweet it)
And often that movement can be moving your body. Stand up, go for a walk, put on the new T. Swift and have yourself an old-fashioned dance party. Moving your body will change the way that your mind is ticking. How? Who knows. Why not find out!
We always want to know where to look before we start. We need something! anything! isthatmynewthing! to take us out of the stuck.
Here are some things that I can almost promise won’t get you there:
- binge-watching terrible television that you don’t really give a shit about
- a quart of ice cream at a time
- buying all the supplies! at Michael’s and adding them to the pile in your craft room
- trolling Facebook or Pinterest or blogs for inspiration
- feeling so sorry for yourself at how stuck you are.
Here are some things that might:
- Feel the feelings. Sit in the bathtub and cry. Take a kickboxing class and punch the shit of of the bag. Start speaking your mind. Let your voice be heard.
- A cup of ice cream - that really good straciatella that reminds you of your summer in Rome. OMG it’s so amazing.
- Indulging in a television show or podcast or book that is so engrossing you forget the time.
- A blank page, and a pencil or pen or paintbrush. Let yourself get messy. Let yourself create for the sole purpose of making something beautiful in the world.
- Taking a screen vacation and spending time in the woods or watching the sun set or marveling at how magical succulents are.
Something. You have to do something. If you want to wallow in your stuckness and now shower for days and eat nothing but that new jif salted caramel hazelnut spread for days, fine. Go ahead. But set an end date. Put an appointment on your calendar for a shower.
Wallow, but know that one day, the wallowing will end. And trust that you will brush yourself off, even though you might feel stuck, and the one thing you’ll do is step into the shower and let the hot water wash some of that stuck off your back.
Baby steps happen. It’s how the little ones learn to walk. It’s how you can walk out of your stuckness too.
**graphic by Erin Cassidy for Tiffany Han Coaching